14.5.09

Another new machine..

I already had the feeling, that the change to my new installation would take more time, than I have. I upgraded to the latest Debian and .. AROS hosted crawled .. I spent some time trying to debug it, but after some days I had to give up, otherwise j-uae will never get finished. So I installed another machine (this time with etch and not lenny) with an older debian release. At least I did it all on virtual machines, so copy etc. was rather trivial. Nevertheless, 10 days have passed without any process on j-uae.

Current status:

  • I can build AROS and j-uae without problems now. Building is much faster now, but it could be still faster ;).

  • AROS runs without problems (virtual Debian on VMware (Windows host), X display running on XMing Server on Windows)

  • j-uae file system fixed, now uses amiga API on some places, where problems with libc calls appeared on the new machine (?).


So if nothing else pops up, I hope I can do something productive next time I switch this machine on.

And another screenshot for you, compare the past and the future ;):

6 Comments:

Blogger Hardwired said...

Really interesting comparison...

You're showing off twice!

1. For The Amiga 68k apps running on AROS windows;

2. For showing off your work on AROS locale prefs (which is excelent!)...

Anyway hope to get more news from you soon! I just love to follow your blog...

6:29 PM  
Blogger Manu said...

Keep up the good work O1i !
I am amazed by your work and your talent. You are doing what some say is impossble. Thanks !

7:15 AM  
Blogger o1i said...

@Hardwired:

;).

@Manu:

What others say, is still impossible.

This is more a "David Copperfield" Trick. You can't call 68k libraries from AROS and vice versa.

On MorphOS/AOS4 you can. This is impossible on AROS/x86.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

@o1i

I think we can consider the 68k side as feature frozen now. Just as Apple froze MacOS 9, where OSX has no access to OS9, outside of the user experience. :-)

Keep up the good work!

12:43 PM  
Blogger o1i said...

@bloodline:
Even MicroSoft does it like j-uae in their upcoming Windows7. They include a virtual machine running XP and exporting the application windows, so that they appear to be running inside Win7. This is *exactly* the same as with j-win. /me wonders, if this is a bad sign ;).

9:52 AM  
Blogger Paolo Besser said...

Hehehehe that's the same things I thought when I first saw Win7's XP mode: "they are copying from AROS" :D

Should we sue them? :D

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home